The Mai Toi

The Mai Toi
Year Built: 2009, Hull # 25, Hailing Port: Guilford, Ct. USCG COD # 1222048, MMSI # 367425460, SSB Call Sign: WDF-2154

Monday, April 11, 2011

Transmission problem

I began experiencing difficulty putting my transmission into forward gear.  Sometimes it would go and sometimes it would not.   It became progressively worse on my last trip to the Bahamas.  I checked the throttle and the linkage and there didn’t seem to be anything wrong so I called Volvo.  They acknowledged a problem with this particular S-Drive transmission model and year and agreed to replace it under warranty without an argument.  I obviously couldn’t get the boat to an authorized Volvo dealer so I had to pay for my local Volvo technician from Connecticut to go down to the boat.  Volvo paid for the transmission and labor to install it and I had to pay to have the boat brought to Marsh Harbor, hauled and for the technician’s R/T airfare and travel time.   
The Mai Toi is currently on the hard in Marsh Harbor Boat Yard. The Volvo
technician arrived at the boat on Monday 4/11 to install the new transmission.

By Tuesday afternoon the old transmission was removed, the new transmission was installed and the Sail Drive was already back on underneath the boat. Some remaining  assembly work and diagnostics tests were completed on Wednesday and the boat was back in the water and on it's way back to Treasure Cay on Thursday afternoon. The problem was evidently caused by the clutch slipping and there was a service bulletin  issued to replace the ATF on this particular transmission with motor oil.   

No comments:

Post a Comment